[Cortina-list] Odd ball rear axle

Peter Pentz peter.pentz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:34:43 UTC 2016

Gerald,
You are so very right about the forces on a Panhard Rod.
Geoff Pile had one on his Escort before going to a Watts linkage. It sheared
the entire bracket off the chassis rail going through the RH turn at the
bottom of Mid O's Madness turns, slinging the car into the tire wall.
When we looked closely we discovered it had actually ripped the chassis rail
spot welds away from the trunk floor.

The problem with a Panhard Rod is that it actually causes the axle to move
around horizontally as the axle loads up in the corner, unlike the Watts
linkage, which locates the axle perfectly irrespective of wheel loading. On
my car with a Watts linkage the tire is around a 1/4" from the inner wheel
arch when the wheel is fully compressed, but it has never touched the inner
wing. It also spreads the loading to 2 different post points on the chassis

Peter Pentz
Peter.pentz at gmail.com
Saint Charles, IL, USA