[Cortina-list] Oh well...

John Miller jem at milleredp.com
Mon Sep 3 23:18:25 UTC 2012

On 9/3/2012 3:49 PM, Mister Lou wrote:
> Do the merkur suspension and brakes xfer to Cortina?

Ford, being Ford, never throws out any of their garbage.  The Sierra
front suspension is the old Cortina/Capri design flipped 180 degrees,
the sway bar still acts to locate the LCAs but it's now BEHIND the axle,
it acts in compression instead of in tension.

There's at least one guy on the 'net who claims to have adapted this to
a Cortina, I don't recall whether Mk1 or Mk2, but I'd find that hard to
believe given that the Sierra is somewhat wider than the early marks of
Cortina.  It might be possible, but I won't claim to be an authority yea
or nay.

You cannot bolt the XR4ti brakes directly to Cortina or Capri struts,
this guy:

http://www.zyworld.com/caprisport/

makes a bunch of kits to do various adaptations of later Ford brakes to
the Capri strut, and I'm basically duplicating his GTR 280 front kit and
his older solid-rotor Scorpio rear kit.

John.