[Cortina-list] Trunk floor resurection

Peter Pentz peter.pentz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:35:59 UTC 2012

You go Ben !
Good job .......
We want finish line photos too .....
Peter P
Sent from my BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Eyes <beneyes at yahoo.com>
Sender: cortina-list-bounces at lotus-cortina.com
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:34:52
To: cortina-list at lotus-cortina.com<cortina-list at lotus-cortina.com>
Subject: [Cortina-list] Trunk floor resurection

When I got my V8 Cortina from Gary K, someone had butchered the trunk floor to fit one of those horrible, plastic fuel cells.  Shortly thereafter, a certain novice 18 year old (me) made the hole even bigger, and added some fliier panel to install at least a steel cell.

Both of these cells were always a problem because I could never get a good seal around the tank, and the trunk would constantly fill with road grime.  A couple of month ago, Phil Bass came up with a trunk floor from a wrecked car, and today I started making up for past sins.

I got the panel all fitted, but ran out of daylight before I could break out the welder.  Once it's welded in, I'll repaint the trunk floor, and fit an aluminum cell that is being fabbed to fit the standard hole, but hold 16 gallons.....should be nicer than ever.

Here's what it looked like with the steel cell, and the sound insulation removed....not pretty
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00546.jpg

Steel cell out, but filler panels still in place
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00547.jpg

Filler panels cut out
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00570.jpg

First test fit of donor floor
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00572.jpg

Cutting donor floor to size
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00573.jpg

Hole cut to fit donor panel
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00575.jpg

Donor panel clamped in place for butt-weld
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/d38781/Tina/DSC00577.jpg