[Cortina-list] Altamont

Fionn O'Neill fionn at kleenblast.com
Sun Dec 30 19:45:26 UTC 2012

We ran late model stock cars on saturday nights there for years, I even went to that Stones concert in 69 with my sister and her boyfriend. Since they closed we run Stockton 99, a fine place...

Altimont closed after a wealthy tree hugger software engineer bought a horse property adjacent to it. He complained about noise, people traffic and the detriment to the environment that the cars and traffic caused. Yes, same place that is right next to the 580 freeway. He got the Sierra Club involved on his fight for the environment, I'm sure he intentions where pure and had nothing to do with improving his property value. He was successful since he had way more money for lawyers than the old man. Another resounding "win" for the environment and yet another building block in my cynicism of "environmentalism".

Fionn

Mobile