[Cortina-list] New guy!

Fionn O'Neill fionn at kleenblast.com
Thu Dec 20 17:44:38 UTC 2012

Hey Jon, yeah their correctly called "Surface Piercing Propellers". As the
propeller moves through the upper arc phase  it generates more hydrodynamic
drag than thrust. Designers long ago discovered that surface piercing
propellers are far more efficient than conventional. Fabio Buzzi, Howard
Arneson, etc. have worked with this design concept and developed it into
what it is today.

Put quite simply, surface piercing propellers operate half in and half out
of the water in the planing wake region of a boat just behind the boats
transom. Having the propeller at the surface level reduces drag and reduces
the vessels draft, making the surface drive suitable for many applications
where the owner is looking to reduce fuel costs, increase speed and create a
more efficient vessel. Firstly there are great advantages in not having any
appendages such as a propeller and shaft underneath the hull of the vessel.
Having no appendages reduces the drag on a vessel, therefore making higher
speeds possible with less horse power required. Surface propellers virtually
eliminate drag from all of these sources, as the only surfaces to contact
the water are the propeller blades and a skeg or rudder.  Then there is the
issue of cavitation.The surface propeller as opposed to a conventional
propeller, operates in a super-ventilated environment and at no stage
suffers the problem of cavitation. The surface propeller effectively
eliminates cavitation by replacing it with ventilation. Surface drive
propellers are larger than conventional propellers for the same sized
vessel. This is beneficial when undertaking close quarter handling in that
the propeller at that stage is completely submerged and the operator has the
advantage of greater thrust forward and aft. You are also able to use a much
deeper reduction ratio, and a larger, lightly-loaded, and more efficient
propeller.

Fionn O'Neill
Director of Operations